At this time of years, it becomes inevitable that someone in your workplace will share their cold virus with everyone, effectively wiping out the entire workforce. It's one extra workplace annoyance that we just don't need! Below we have listed some simple, handy tips for avoiding coughs and colds this winter.
- Wash your hands. When someone near you coughs or sneezes, you may come into contact with infected droplets. If you then touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands you could also catch it. Germs can also be spread through commonly touched items such as telephones and light switches, so keep a hand santiser close by.
- Where possible, avoid hand shaking with someone who already has a cold, or use hand sanitizer afterwards. Whilst difficult, avoiding touching your face will go a long way towards protecting you.
- Remember to get vaccinated if you are vulnerable.
- Top-up on your vitamin C, either in handy tablets (some are dispersible) or preferable by eating plenty of fruit and veg. Fill your lunch box with fresh fruit for healthy snacking.
- Try to exercise and get enough sleep. These things may not strengthen your immune system, but if you allow yourself to become run down you will be much more susceptible.
- Drink hot water with honey and lemon. The lemon helps towards your vitamin C intake and the warm water and honey can help soothe the symptoms of a cold if you do get unlucky.